In the avatharikai section of Vishnu sahasranama bhasyam, Parasara Battar explains 7 reasons on the importance of Vishnu sahasranamam
1. Srivishnu Sahasranamam is the essence(Saram) of Mahabharata.
2. Many great sages like sanagathi rishi's - Vyasa, Vasishta, Bylar, Sunandu, etc., have sung Srivishnu Sahasranamam.
3. Srivishnu Sahasranamam has been compiled and presented by Vedacharya Sri Vyasa maharshi, who grouped Vedas and who edited 18 puranas.
4. Srivishnu Sahasranamam was told to Yudhishtra by Bheeshma. Bheesma is considered as Mahatma and Vishnu sahasranamam has been glorified by Bheesma himself.
5. Srivishnu Sahasranamam is approved and accepted for chanting by many noble learned persons and our great elders.
6. Srivishnu Sahasranamam is equivalent to Gita and the content is in line with what Bhagavad Gita, says. Srivishnu Sahasranamam is an easy way in the path to Moksham.
The first six reasons are well explained in the following slogam.
மஹாபாரதஸாரத்வாத் ரிஷிபி: பரிகாநத:
வேதாசார்யஸமாஹாராத் பீஷ்மோத்க்ருஷ்டமதத்வத்: |
பரிக்ரஹாதிசயதோ கீதாத்யைகார்த்தஸ்ச ந:ஸஹஸ்ரநாமாத்யாய உபாதேயதமோ மத: |
Also the seventh reason being the following
7. Kannan ‘s presence when Vishnu sahasranamam was told by Bheesma and Kannan’s acknowledgement that whatever Bheesma said was correct, explains the greatness of Vishnusahasranamam.
Greatness of a book depends on the following three
- Author – Padinavan - Pramatha
- Title – Pada patta Prabhandam - Pramanam
- Content – Pada patta Vishayam - Prameyam
VishnuSahasranamam’s greatness can be understood because of the greatness of all the above
- Author – Vedav Vysar
- Title – Srivishnusahasramam – essence of the fifth veda mahabaratham- Content – Guna’s of Srivishnu as explained by Sahasranamam
The above reasons given to illustrate the importance of Sri Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram become all the more obvious when we recount the personalities involved in the events that resulted in the stotram. It was no ordinary person's advice that was sought. No ordinary person was seeking the advice, and at no ordinary person's urging was the advice being sought. Bhishma was the son of the Mother Ganga and a person sanctified by his unswerving devotion to Lord Krishna, and one who had controlled and conquered all his senses. Yudhishthira was the son of Dharma, and himself a practitioner of justice, righteousness, truth, honesty and integrity. Vyasa was the knower of all vedas. Lord Krishna was a witness to the whole event involving the advice and revelation of the easiest and best means to achieve happiness and peace of mind, given by Bhishma to Yudhishthira. As we know, the advice is in the form of Sri Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram. No other justification is needed to recognize the greatness of the education that is imparted to the human race through the medium of Sri Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram by Vyasa and Bhishma.